Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who Invented the Lightbulb?

So this past Wednesday we were visiting one of my favorite families. I guess I shouldn´t technically have favorites, but I truly love every one in this family from the three-year old boy who always wants to show me his ducks to the mom who always has a huge smile on her face. Anyways, we had just been invited by them to have some lunch and we were sitting around waiting for the food to be ready. Jose, who often likes to share little bits of knowledge about all different aspects of life, decided to talk to the oldest girl about the importance of taking the time to learn things.

He started off saying reading books is a great way to gain a lot of knowledge, and that we just need to try to fill our brains with good things. In order to illustrate this, he pointed up to the lightbulb and asked her who invented it. She of course didn´t know (people don´t even know much about the world wars and most can´t point out to peru to you on a map)so I was about to blurt out a answer when Jose said ISAAC NEWTON. He then went on to tell about how many failures he had before it worked. I had to seriously suppress my smile, but didn´t say anything because I didn´t want to make him feel stupid in front of this family. This was even better than his comment to one family that if they had lung problems they should drink milk in order to clean out their lungs. As soon as our visit was over I decided it was time to correct him. I smuggly reminded him that it was not Isaac Newton, but Albert Einstien...

Well, I had gotten such a kick out of the experience that I decided to tell the rest of the SMs that night when I came back for supper. As I shared the story and got to the part where I corrected him, another one of the guys busted out laughing. He then smuggly informed me that Albert Einstein did not invent the lightbulb, Thomas Edison did...Wow, now who felt like the complete idiot! As soon as he said it, I was like, man I knew that, what in the world was I thinking! It was too late though, I already had everyone rolling.

So lesson learned...pride most defiantely comes before fall!

6 comments:

  1. Ahahaha.That's hilarious.

    Too bad you didn't come to Cohutta this summer. Chris' depiction of Thomas Edison was hard to forget. Best line: "Sometimes you don't know how far to go until you've gone too far."

    I'm still not sure how that related to the light bulb...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I left an impression. It was fun to play Einstein at camp last summer. I'll never forget it. "The lightbulb of relativity" is what I like to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is so funny, I've been re-telling it to people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too Nick! I was laughing outloud, so I had to read it. Love you Britt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should know that because of this blog I got an embarrassing moment out of it as well. Nick asked me who invented the light bulb, Chelsea piped in with Benjamin Franklin (as a joke) but I quickly agreed because, in a moment of idiocy, I couldn't remember who had. They laughed. I blushed.

    I gotchoo girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel too bad, Gimbel. I was thinking smugly that it was Benjamin Franklin ( in good company with Tara). I guess that kite thing with the electricity made me think he did the light bulb too. Sounds like your little lesson on humility was good for alot of us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete