Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stereotypes

(Written a week ago)

Today I went to order medicines, but the guy said that he still needed another hour and a half. Well, I had already agreed with the other girls to meet with them at the pharmacy around six or seven. With no truck to pick me up and needing to wait for the medications, I plopped down on the sidewalk outside the pharmacy. Now keep in mind that I am already quite the attention getter because I am not only white but a girl! Well, me sitting on the sidewalk made for an even greater specticle. As almost every person walked by, they would do a double take in my direction. I bet many were wondering why a gringa was camped out on the ground. I couldn´t quite pass as a backpacker or hippie, yet what kind of rich tourist would lower themselves to this type of seating arrangement. This game became quite just as entertaining to me as it was to the locals. With every passerby, a confused look would appear on the locals faces, and a huge smile on mine. I will have to admit that the thought crossed my mind to put a hat out for money, but figured it might offend people.

Crazy what kinds of stereotypes we have not only in our societies, but also in our churches. Just like certain people in society are expected to act in certain ways, christians are often put in categories as well. Sometimes others expect them to live and do everything a certain way. If anyone dares to break the mold, they might as well leave the church. I don´t think that God wants an army of identical Christians with no creativity and no different ideas on improving the church and spreading the gospel. God made each and everyone one of us uniquely on purpose and I think He wants each of us to use the talents He has given us! God doesn´t box us in, so who are we to do so to others?



Medical Humor

Colt walked into the clinic and began unloading the medical supplies I asked him to pick up for me at 38 when he ran back. One by one he pulled different items out of the backpack, it truly looked like he had found everything I had asked for. Then that is when he told me there was one thing he wasn´t sure if he had found, the pulse ox. He told me he had looked everywhere, and then he pulled a item out of the bag....a plastic speculum (which are used for vaginal exams)! He truly had no clue what it was and said he had been looking for something that fit on your finger like I had explained and he went on to show me how it fit on his finger. By this time I was rolling, I couldn´t stop laughing, but I felt bad because I knew he would be embarrased when I told him what it really was. Finally, I got myself under control, I broke the news to him of what he had on his finger. Poor guy, he turned a couple shades of red and sheepishly handed over the rest of the supplies before heading back over to the dental side. Oh well, guess you gotta learn sometime.

5 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I laughed so very hard!!! Poor Colt. (Tyler didn't laugh as hard at this story when I read it to him, Elisa, & Emily....Go figure.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog makes me get real antsy...cause I cannot wait to live with you! I hope you enjoy your last weeks there, but I can't help wishing the days to go by quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your mom at Jelico church! :) She is sweet like you--i also saw your house for next year......AWESOME! you girls are going to have an awesome time. Good courage to you! Love Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA!!! This was hilarious! Thank you kindly dear. PS, when are you back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. teheheBAHAHAHA! Come home please.

    ReplyDelete